Having obtained 300 pounds in funding from the New York Assembly to build a fort at Oswego, Governor Burnet asked the commissioners to recommend a location. Based on the meeting between the Six Nations and Governor Burnet in September 1724, the commissioners knew that the governor wanted the fort at Oswego rather than at the Six Nations’ preferred location at the end of Oneida Lake. On February 4th, they wrote the governor and told him what he wanted to hear. The most convenient place was the west side of the Onondaga River (now called the Oswego River) where it flowed into Lake Ontario, still known as Cataraqui Lake at this period.
The commissioners recommended that Captain Evert Bancker, already stationed in Seneca Country for the winter, pick the exact location. The fort was to be 60 feet square with two blockhouses, a shingled room, and a chimney.
They agreed to keep the matter private but they told the governor that it was already no secret in Albany. They proposed to tell Captain Bancker that the building was intended to keep the traders’ goods dry, but added that Bancker would need some presents to give any Iroquois leaders who might oppose the work. Bancker also proposed to regulate trade at Oswego and make sure that the Indians were not cheated by mixing rum with water. The Six Nations had complained of being cheated in this way the previous year and proposed that the traders stop bringing rum to their country, but the English would not consider that possibility. The commissioners also assured the governor that they would tell Captain Collins to redeliver rum to the Indians after they complained that it had been stolen at Schenectady.
Captain Collins is probably Edward Collins, rather than his father John Collins, who was a lieutenant by this time.
In Library and Archives Canada’s digital copy of the original minutes, the best copy of the entry for February 1727 starts here.